The Arts IT unit can help you spec, quote and purchase technology through your personal expense accounts (PEA) to ensure that the equipment you are purchasing meets the requirements of what you are using it for. As well, we provide full support for computers that are purchased through us and meet the standards set below. We can purchase either PC's or Mac computers and either desktops or laptops and we have standardized these purchases through two vendors. This is to ensure that we can provide the best price to you and to ensure that these standards are met. The standards ensure that you are able to comply with U of A IT security policies and to ensure that you are able to get the support for your computer over the life of that computer.
(These standards will change as the policies or technology changes)
- 5 Year warranties on PC's, minimum of 3 year warranties on Mac
- TMP module on PC's to ensure that encryption can be enabled on the computer
- PC's are purchased from Dell to ensure consistency in computer parts
- All PC's must have Windows 7 Professional installed, Mac's must have a minimum 10.7.2 OS installed
Standard Mac Desktops and Laptops:
- Macbook Pro 13", 15", 17"
- Macbook Air 11", 13"
- iMac 21.5", iMac 27"
Standard PC Desktop and Laptop
USB Flash Keys
- We are recommending using the Imation IronKey. This key comes with always on hardware encrytption, which means your data is always protected.
USB External Hard Drives
We are recommending the Buffalo DriveStation™ Axis Velocity USB 3.0 - HD-LXU3. This drive comes with the latest technology, fast transfer rates, and full disk encryption.